The Lancaster and Fairfield CountyAmateur Radio Club
The “Voice” of Amateur Radio in Fairfield County
Fairfield County’s Ham Radio Club Since 1959
Taking Your Amateur Radio License Exam_____________________________________________________________________________
The Lancaster and Fairfield County Amateur Radio Club (LFCARC) hosts Amateur Radio license examinations throughout the year. Exams begin at 10:00 am at the Fairfield County EMA at 240 Baldwin Dr., Lancaster, OH 43130. Please see the Club Activities Calendar for testing session dates. If you want to test for an amateur radio license, please contact our Volunteer Examiner (VE) firstname.lastname@example.org by email and include your phone number. You will then be kept appraised on any changes to requirements or the schedule. What to bring to the exam session:
- A legal photo ID (e.g. driver's license, passport).
- If you do not have a photo ID, bring two other forms of identification:
- Birth certificate (must have appropriate certifying seal)
- Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address.
- Students / minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor's work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
- Your Federal Communication Commission (FCC) issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). To create your Username Login and obtain your FRN, go to the FCC website at https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do. The FCC requires ALL license applicants to create their Username Login and receive their FRN BEFORE taking the exam, NO EXCEPTIONS. Check with the LFCARC VE prior to coming to the exam session.
- If upgrading your FCC issued radio license, bring the Official or the Reference copy of your current Amateur Radio License. Your license will have the FRN printed on it. The Official or Reference copy will be sent to the American Radio Relay a league (ARRL) with your documentation package as proof of licensure.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed while taking the exam. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they are free of notes and formulas. Cell phones must be silenced or turned off during the exam session. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices, and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability may NOT be used.
- The exam fee is $15 cash.
- Your VE Testing Team will provide all pens, pencils, forms, scratch paper, or a calculator if you need one.
- If you need assistance in taking the exam, your exam may be read to you by one of the volunteers. If you do not understand a question, please ask a volunteer for clarification.
- Finally, please bring a positive attitude and some patience. The folks administering the exams are unpaid, but dedicated volunteers. They will do their best to get you tested, get your exam graded, inform you of the results, and if applicable, prepare and present to you a CSCE stating you have earned your license or license upgrade. They will try to do this as quickly as possible, but it does take some time.