What You Need To Know
The Lancaster and Fairfield County Amateur Radio Club (LFCARC) hosts amateur radio license examinations throughout the year.
These exams are scheduled on the 2nd Tuesday of the scheduled month at 7:00 pm at Grace Community Church, 904 E. Main St.
Lancaster, OH 43130. The church is located across the street from the Circle K gas station and next to the Medicine Shoppe
drugstore. Look for the Palm Tree at the sidewalk.
Please see the
Club Activities Calendar
for testing session dates.
If you want to test for an amateur radio license, please contact our Volunteer Examination (VE)
email@example.com by email and include your phone number. You will then be
kept appraised on any changes to requirements or the schedule.
What to bring to the exam session:
- A legal photo ID (e.g. driver's license, passport, etc).
- If you do not have a photo ID, bring two other forms of identification:
- State issued ID without a photo (some states still have them)
- Birth certificate (must have appropriate certifying seal)
- Social Security card
- Library card
- Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address.
- Students/minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor's work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
Your Federal Communication Commission (FCC) issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). To create your Username Login and obtain your FRN, go to the FCC website at https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do. After March 1, 2019 the FCC requires ALL license applicants to create their Username Login and receive their FRN BEFORE taking the exam, NO EXCEPTIONS. Check with the LFCARC VE prior to coming to the exam session.
- If upgrading your FCC issued radio license, bring the original or a photo copy of your current Amateur Radio License. Your license will have the FRN printed on it. The original or photocopy will be sent to the American Radio Relay a league (ARRL) with your documentation package.
A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed while taking the exam. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they are free of notes and formulas. Cell phones must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices, and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability may NOT be used
Bring $15 cash or a $15 check, payable to ARRL VEC, to cover the exam session fee.
Your VE Testing Team will provide all pens, pencils, forms (including the NVEC 605), scratch paper, or a calculator if you need one.
If you need assistance in taking the exam, your exam may be read to you by one of the volunteers. If you do not understand a question, please ask a volunteer for clarification.
Finally, please bring a positive attitude and some patience. The folks administering the exams are unpaid, but dedicated volunteers. They will do their best to get you tested, get your exam graded, inform you of the results, and if applicable, prepare and present to you a CSCE stating you have earned your license or license upgrade. They will try to do this as quickly as possible, but it does take some time.